Start Para Swimming is a Swim England programme supported by the South East Region designed to get more young disabled people with an eligible impairment into clubs and develop them into Para-Swimmers. The programme aim is to provide a seamless pathway from Learn to Swim into clubs by offering additional sessions for young swimmers to develop their skills.
Ideally the Start Para Programme will offer additional sessions on top of the athletes Learn to Swim lessons. All Start Para Swimming Programmes need to demonstrate links with a Learn to Swim Provider and the club with clear entry points into the club(s) development/entry-level section.
Start Para-Swimming is targeting the following:
- Young disabled people aged 5 –16 years old
- Focus is on physical disabilities and visual impairments
- Swimmers with an eligible impairment at stages 3 to 5 of Learn to Swim
Clubs interested in creating a new Start Para- Swimming Programme should carefully consider the following points;
- Does your club offer a Learn to Swim Programme or does your club have links/partnership with a Learn to Swim Provider
- Available Pool time - Does your club have pool time that could be used for Start Para Swimming or would you need to purchase additional pool time?
- All Start Para Swimming programmes will need to become financially sustainable after any initial funding. Consider how you would make this programme financially sustainable.
- Level of demand - Understand the level of need and demand in your local area. Consider how you would advertise this program to the relevant community?
- Pathway - Do you have a clear pathway for the Swimmers to progress from the Start Para Programme into your club?
We are currently looking for clubs that are interested in setting up a Start Para Swimming programme to work with us and to help create multiple Start Para Swimming Programmes around the South East region. If your club is interested please do get in contact with Ben McDonald (Ben.McDonald@southeastswimming.org) to arrange a suitable time for a phone call to discuss this further.